A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I interned with a small publishing company. It was the kind of place where my daily workload might be to edit an article and then vacuum the office. But there were Hot Pockets stocked in the fridge and I had my own desk and the other intern and I had a good ol' time.
The highlight of my internship occurred at the Christmas party where My Boss, upon meeting Ryan for the first time, asked him who he reported to at the company he works for and then proclaimed that Ryan's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss reported to him when he worked for the same company. Awesome. I think that many levels of boss puts you at Emperor of the Universe.
Managing Emperors of the Universe must like to drink fancy water because once, when the Culligan man stopped by and asked if we were interested in having a water cooler in the office, My Boss (who was receiving daily calls from Audi's billing department...) asked if they carried Pellegrino water because that was all he drank at home. The honest blue collar Culligan man replied with some confusion that they did not have Pellegrino but they did have Kandiyohi water?
Now I snicker every time I have one these. They're all I drink at home.
That internship was the best thing that ever happened to me, if you measure success by the number of bizarre stories you add to your repertoire. Like the sales manager there with steel knees, one glass eye and a part time job as a personal body guard.
No comments:
Post a Comment