Wednesday, July 3, 2013

5 Things (I've Been Reading)


{from the window of a bookstore in Bellingham}
The Help
So, so good.  So funny and so sad.  I figuratively could not put this book down.

The Cat Who Said Cheese
Formulaic and comforting.  I've probably read 15 books in this series because my mama likes them.

The Rules of Civility: A Novel
A tortured love story.  Snappy and literary.  I read this until my eyeballs fell out and my husband had to snap at me to go to sleep already.

The Shoemaker's Wife
An utter fairy tale where bad things do not happen.  The clumsy foreshadowing is distracting but charming.

The Indian Bride
A whodunit without resolution.  I like an ambiguous, subtle ending but this story line just dropped off, like, huh, what happened to the rest of the book? Boo.

I have been taking major advantage of library ebooks this summer.  I tore through these five titles and am on waiting lists for half a dozen more.  It's kind of fun not knowing which one will free up next so I've loaded the queue with a variety of old favorites and new releases. I foresee a lot of couch time this four day weekend.  Holla.

1 comment:

  1. I read "The Help" while we were traveling before the wedding and I also thought it was an amazing book. Also read my first Ann Patchett: "State of Wonder". Very good read as well.

    ReplyDelete