Saturday, November 17, 2012

Five Things (I've Been Reading Lately)

Since blowing through the 54 Agatha Christies that my dad sent me (and then trying to start again at the top of the list), I've felt a little lost when it comes to brainless written entertainment.  This is what I've read over the last few months.

Jane Eyre
I've read this book repeatedly and I always enjoy it.  I find some of the plot devices a little unbelievable (what are the chances that Jane finds her cousins in the middle of nowhere?) but this book makes me cry and lol and Jane is my feminist shero.
  
I found this whole book vaguely annoying but I still couldn't put it down.  I don't know what that says about me or this book.

The story was engaging and sufficiently suspenseful but I found the writing in the first half of the book to be unnecessarily verbose and the latter half of the book to be too heavy on street urchin dialect.  Also, I could not get a handle on the dynamic between the main character and his brother.

 Lighter than beach reading.

I'm reading this now and it's pretty good.  I haven't had much time to read lately, so I'm about half way through but looking forward to getting back into it during the upcoming holidays.  I checked out the ebook version from the library which was a life altering experience.  Free stuff + instant gratification = amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, LOVE Emma! Totally have that chosen as a baby name because of that book. =)

    ReplyDelete