Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sorry, Hips. It's That Time of Year Again

Last week, I read that the average American gains 7-12 pounds between Halloween and Christmas.  That's approximately a pound a week.  That's a cookie here and a cookie there and avoiding the freezing temperatures by curling up on the couch.  Maybe with a bunch of cookies.  I totally get it.  When I get up in the morning and it's dark and I sit at my desk all day and it's dark and I come home and it's dark, I'd like a cookie or five too.  However, in order to help our national average, my patriotic goal is to lose 2 pounds by Christmas.  And 1 of those is the pound I put on over Thanksgiving.  I didn't even need a week.  Just 4 days, thank you very much. 

Here's how the Eating Nelsons earn their nickname:
  • Waffles. With peanut butter.
  • Sausage patties and bacon.  For these I am thankful.
  • Bite size Butterfingers. End of story.
  • That chip dip that you make with two blocks of cream cheese and Hormel chili. Plus chips. Yep.
  • Pulled pork barbecue sandwiches.  More chips.
  • Thanksgiving FEAST - all the usual suspects. In great abundance.
  • 5 kinds of pie.  Plus 2 kinds of whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.
  • Pizza. Plus breadsticks.  Yeah, that really happened.
  • Sashimi plate.
  • Loaded baked potatoes. More bacon.
  • Pork roast et al. 
Needless to say, it was a rather wonderful holiday.  But then, I think it would still have been wonderful even if all we had to eat were ice cubes and celery sticks.

The blogosphere is on fire this time of year with holiday and seasonal recipes.  Gingerbread, peppermint chocolate cookies, beef bourguignon, shrimp alfredo...'tis the season of comfort food.  Although, if you live south of South Dakota, you should be eating lettuce salads and rejoicing in 40 degree temps.  Leave the serious comfort food consumption to us northerners.  We need that extra layer to keep warm.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...not as enjoyable with only celery. David is wondering how you only gained ONE pound. =/

    ReplyDelete