Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Difference that 3 Tbsp of Butter Makes

I am a results oriented person. Not a process oriented person.

Sometimes when I bake, this happens:
My World Disaster cookies


Instead of this:

Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies
The recipe called for 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons of butter.  The recipe said to "roll out the dough" and I looked into a bowl of chocolate sand and wondered "how?". So the difference between cookie dough and chocolate sand is the 3 tablespoons of butter.  Which was still sitting innocently on my counter.

Bakers are precise people.  This recipe is an exact formula, an exquisite science. Not an outline of suggestions.  I am more of a suggestions kind of girl.  I see most recipes as open to interpretation and sometimes I forget things.  Like the rest of the butter.  And that's why I did not achieve world peace in cookie form.  However, if my loving husband had been the one baking, you can bet these cookies would have been perfect. PER.FECT.  Because my loving husband is the type of baker who may or may not freak out if the recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips and all we have are milk chocolate chips.

I tease because I love.

Do as I say and not as I do.  Make these cookies, you will not be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment