Thursday, November 18, 2010

This is Fear Leaving the Body

All my baking life, I have been afraid of pie crust.  This is a fear that I inherited directly from my mother.  My mother is not a timid cook.  She fearlessly tackles yeast breads of all shapes and sizes and could improvise a delicious meal out of pineapple juice, whole wheat flour and canned tuna but I have heard her bemoan the difficulty of getting a good pie crust to turn out.  So, I just stayed away.  And devoured homemade pie whenever I could get it.

But.

Then this happened.

Please excuse the terrible cell phone pictures...















And then this.

...I had to send proof to my family















And lately this.


...and now share the whole interwebs















 And suddenly, I love to make pie crust!  It takes 5 minutes to mix together and then I just pop it into the fridge and do some other stuff and then it's time to roll it out and fill it with goodness.  An apple pie that turned out to be kind of blah and forgettable (but it wasn't a disaster!), followed by some little hand pies that tasted like McDonald's apple pies and lastly a terrible looking galette that was nonetheless a modest success.  The expression 'easy as pie' didn't come from nowhere and when you start from nothing, there's nowhere to go but up!

No comments:

Post a Comment