I have to admit that I wasn't too jazzed about the new year. I have a huge work project due in a few months and am dreading the long march to the deadline. Being in 2013 makes it reality that the end is near. However, we're 4 days in and this year is not as grim as I had feared.
My one resolution for the new year is to be more intentional about bringing beauty into our every day lives.
This resolution was born when we were cleaning up for Thanksgiving and one of the items on our checklist was to "make sure pot holders are not gross" and then we went into Thanksgiving with one presentable pot holder.
I realized at the same time that my kitchen towels are approximately 10 years old and belonged to the hubs in college and were purchased specifically because THEY ARE SO MASCULINE. Ten year old masculine college boy towels are not my idea of beautiful and I feel like someone should rip up my Woman Card for allowing this situation to occur on my watch. I have been asleep at the wheel, folks.
I don't mean beauty to be just things that can be bought with money. I want to appreciate this beautiful state where we live. The first few days of this year have been startlingly, blindlingly clear, and cold. My morning commute takes me through a little valley and yesterday it was frosted and filled with fog. Breathtaking. I resolve to be more aware of nature.
Twenty-twelve was a good year for us, full of firsts. Our first full year in Washington, our first time hosting Thanksgiving, our first trip to NYC, and so many other things. They are the reason we are so grateful and excited for 2013 and looking forward to a beautiful new year.
*photo by Ryan

I hear ya! I came home and realised I was so unhappy in our house because it didn't have much of anything I liked or chose. We are slowly working to add curtains, update the chandelier and cupboard handles, get a real bed, bedroom fan, etc. so that it can feel like home. There's no need to put up with something you don't like, even if you don't hate it. =)
ReplyDelete