Specialty's Bakery has a ridiculous Oatmeal Wheatgerm Chocolate Chip cookie that I dearly love even though my husband teases me mercilessly about my affinity for gross, healthy food. I'm a girl. I like more than chicken fingers and pizza. Is that hummus? And that cookie is emphatically not health food - so much chewy, oaty, buttery goodness. My, oh my.
I have searched high and low for a copy cat recipe and while there doesn't seem to be an exact one available, there are a lot of yummy versions. I was a little apprehensive about attempting these since I've never made a cookie like this before but they turned out to be delicious. To a girl. The hubs nibbled on one and was like, "Eh". I baked an initial 6 (gone in a flash) and froze the rest but it's snowing right now so I busted out another half dozen and they are baking now. I know what I'm having for dinner.
These differ from Specialty's because of the cinnamon and regular sized chocolate chips. I'm also not sure if the original has coconut. I must resolve this uncertainty with exhaustive research from a large sample size.
OWG Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Caroline's Bake Shop: Wheat Germ Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp butter, softened (I had an extra nub of butter hanging around so I tossed it in, I'm guessing it was around 2 Tbsp)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup oat flour (or 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.
3. Mix in oats, flour, flax seeds, wheat germ, coconut flakes, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and press cookie dough into loaf pan. Chill for at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 400 F.
6. Lift parchment paper out of loaf pan and "slice" cookie dough into approximately 21 cubes.
7. Place cookies 1-2 inches apart and bake for 10 to 12 minutes (I bake all my cookies on stoneware, so if you're using a metal cookie sheet, knock off 2-3 minutes?). Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool completely on wire rack.


No comments:
Post a Comment