Let me just say one thing before sharing this recipe. I am not normally a tool who buys pre-made spice mixes BUT in a flurry of Thanksgiving shopping, I bought this pumpkin pie spice and by gum, I will be using it wherever and however until it is all gone to make good on my purchase.
I made this oatmeal for dinner one rainy Sunday night and it turned out to be a dinner/dessert combo reminiscent of rice pudding. In fact, you could get away with calling it guilt-and-rice-free rice pudding if rice makes you feel guilty. The only thing that makes me feel guilty is getting caught in our pantry with a bag of chips in hand and no apparent explanation. Which has never happened.
Pumpkin Pie Irish Oatmeal
1 C steel-cut/Irish oats
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 T pumpkin pie spice
3 T brown sugar
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 C steel-cut/Irish oats. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat.
Beat egg in separate bowl. Slowly add egg to cooked oatmeal, stirring oatmeal vigorously with a spatula to incorporate egg smoothly and prevent egg from scrambling.
Add 3 T of brown sugar and 1/2 T of pumpkin pie spice.
That's how it's done, son.

No comments:
Post a Comment