Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ten Commandments of Engineering

Inspired by the This American Life show earlier this week, I came up with the Ten Commandments of Engineering:
  • Thou shalt have a graphing calculator on thy person at all times.
  • Thou shalt not have a sense of humor.
  • Thou shalt institute Hawaiian Shirt Friday in thy workplace instead.
  • Thou shalt mutter or sing to thyself when thou art concentrating intently.
  • Thou shalt wear white socks every day.
  • Thou shalt memorize process work instructions.
  • Thou shalt capitalize 'engineer' in thine process work instructions, for thou art an Engineer, not an engineer.
  • Thou shalt love metrics above all else.
  • Thou shalt be "visual" and confuse thine coworkers with many signs and wonders.
  • Thou shalt occasionally buy thy entire lunch from the vending machine.

Most of my coworkers are engineers.  I am definitely not an engineer. At all. Ever. Amen.  They're all very nice but they are a breed unto themselves...a marvelous, intelligent but definitely weird breed.  Sometimes, I feel like an anthropologist observing a tribe in the Amazon.  These are my notes from the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment