Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Year's Resolution (The Best and Maybe Worst Idea Ever)

My one resolution, aside from more chocolate and less exercise, is a mini fast-fashion fast.  No new clothes for four months.  NO NEW CLOTHES UNTIL MAY 1st!
 
I want this fashion fast to help change my approach to shopping and my wardrobe.  I am a great one for picking through the Target sale section knowing full well my tee-shirt drawer at home doesn't close if all my shirts are clean.  Or worse, falling prey to free shipping offers from my fav online retailers.  Couch shopping's gotta stop.  I also tend to buy things that I love that I already have a lot of.  Like tee-shirts and sweaters and ahem, scarves.  I hope to take my focus off of the latest and greatest and wear the oldies but goodies more. 

The worst/best idea ever is that I am leaving myself the caveat of thrift stores.  I want to buy more second hand clothing because the deals are amazing and also because I can't lay on my couch and make impulse, one-click buys from TheGreatOnlineEmporiumofSecondHandClothes.com.  You actually have to shop in person.  And let's be real, sometimes thrift stores are icky.  It's a more challenging shopping experience than amazon.com or waltzing into the mall and choosing a purchase from a neatly stacked table.  There's that smell and the racks are usually stuffed and there's some dear little lady who can't understand her senior discount and then reluctantly pulls out a CHECKBOOK.  But when you find a green wool herringbone JCrew blazer for $10 it's hard to stop.

There are 3 thrift stores within 10 minutes of my work.  Goodbye, lunch break and paycheck.  Hello, thrifting and possible updated New Year's Resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment