My closet is filling up.
Help.
This skirt was salvaged several years ago from the clearance rack of a boutique that was going out of business. It had a busted zipper, which my mother-in-law's seamstress friend cheerfully replaced for free. In the end, it was just an awkward ankle length and I didn't wear it very often. So, I chopped off the top and put in an elastic band and hey, presto! new skirt. Except that it is very full and tends to be a bottom revealer in the North Dakota wind. Maybe if I had a princess bottom I wouldn’t care. But I don’t, so I do.
I am obsessed with this skirt. It was a mid-length skirt that I found among the piles of my grandma Edith’s old quilting fabric and it has the most wonderful hand stitched blind stitch hem. #amazingGrandma. The original elastic waist was shot, so I cut off the top and added a new waist to make it a little shorter. It has become my go-to summer skirt. I love that my grandma made it but I also had a tiny hand in making it wearable.
This was my first attempt at a circle skirt and I may have shed a few angry tears while hemming this sucker. Or a lot. And I maybe made Ryan wear the skirt while I circled him, snipping off pieces, TRYING to make it even. #patientlovinghusband. The fabric is some that my grandma gave me from her collection – caraaazy floral with a definite sheen to the fabric, but it makes me smile when I wear it.
More 70s floral! I call this the Burning-Eyeballs-Skirt. I followed this great tutorial for a child's skirt, but upgraded the width and length. I knew this skirt would be more practice than anything but sewing with vintage orange floral seersucker nearly gave me a seizure. It has definite flaws as an adult skirt - the waistband and front pleat are too narrow - but I still kind of like how it turned out.
This skirt is the same pattern as the Burning-Eyeballs-Skirt but with some modifications - I doubled the width of the waistband and the inverted pleat and added a 3 inch hem. I didn’t realize it until after I made this skirt, but the original pattern authors posted a Q&A here that addresses some of the updates for an adult version.
I’m glad I had some success with sewing simple skirts after my first underwhelming experience! I think I might be hooked. I have a few more ideas I’d like to try and one of our local fabric stores is having a major sale through the end of August…so, Ryan better consider cleaning out some room on his side of the closet. I need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment