Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Forsooth, What Strange Thing Lumpeth in The Bowl?

I like to eat things that have weird combinations in them.  Things like sandwiches and salads.  Things where you can safely throw odd food groups together and they all get along.  Cold peas, cheddar cheese, boiled egg, pickled beets, croutons, florets of broccoli and cauliflower, black olives, banana peppers, diced chicken, bacon bites, arugula, spinach, mixed greens, iceberg.  Boom.
This concept does have the capacity to backfire spectacularly.  I once had a salad at an office potluck that consisted of chopped green apples and Snickers, held together with Miracle Whip.  It kind of left me speechless.  In a bad way.  Putting things in Miracle Whip or mayonnaise does not make a salad.
There was also that time last summer when I was trying to put a big dent in our CSA box and cut up 8 radishes to put in a salad before I realized I was just eating radishes for dinner: :(

But I digress.

Meet Sexy Oatmeal.

oh, heeeyyyy

That is Mixed Fruit Crumble atop a steaming bowl of oatmeal.  Think of it as a Breakfast for Dinner Oatmeal Salad.

Never mind, don't think that.  That sounds gross.
 
I was making a bowl of oatmeal and trying to decide between plain brown sugar or raisins when I heard the siren call of the crumble in the fridge.  It already has a little oatmeal, some brown sugar, baked fruit...oh, yes yes yes yes.  These things were definitely made to be friends.  Winning!

No comments:

Post a Comment