Sunday, January 9, 2011

Travelogue: Arrival in the Netherlands (Mango Juice and Homelessness)

I am not a happy flier. Please let teleport technology come quickly. When it comes to motion sickness, my brain wimps out completely and I always suffer a dull headache while flying. And my eating schedule gets out of whack. And my internal grandma gets very unhappy when normal routines are disrupted.

So, I'm sitting in the Schiphol airport, waiting for my manager's flight to arrive and I can't tell if I'm queasy or starving. I figure that either way having something to drink would be a good bet. However, I probably shouldn't have chosen a store-brand fruit smoothie that looked a little too natural and a little bit home made. Dumb. It tasted good going down but the queasy feeling got worse.
After downing my iffy mango smoothie, I find a seat with some other weary travellers and hope that if I perish of exhaustion and fruit juice, it will be quiet and dignified. One guy is conked out, slumped sideways on his bag when a security guard approaches and hails him with a hearty "GOEDEMORGEN" followed by a tap on the shoulder and a second "GOEDEMORGEN". The guy lifts his head in confusion and mentally wipes the drool away. His buddy is grinning in an embarassed way. The security guard says something like the Dutch equivalent of "You can't sleep here" and asks in English if they are passengers because this area is for passengers only. They say something about train tickets and the security guard points to the train terminal and waits until they collect one bag each and shuffle off. I am now terrified of falling asleep and being publicly mistaken for a homeless non-Dutch speaking bum.
Thankfully, I am able to contain my misery and meet up with my manager without any incident.

Stay tuned for future Travelogue updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment