| Veldhoven office lunchroom |
It has been a fantastic, crazy, fun, thoughtful, stressful, short week. My Dutch coworkers are the nicest people ever. One of the girls I have been working with for a year through email and phone calls greeted me with a hug and 3 air kisses - one on each side and a final one on the original side. I miss the air kiss from my days in Chile. On my first day in the lunchroom, I asked someone where the water dispenser was (turns out we were standing in front of it - um, awkward.) and they asked me if I would like hot or cold water and then gave me the glass they had poured for themselves. Wow.
| Le toilet. That grey "box" next to le TP is the flush |
I am a little tired of eating out, however. I was worried that I was going to be stuffing myself silly but I feel like I'm starving to death half the time. Partly because I have no food when I want to eat and it would be unseemly to snitch a whole basket of fruit from the hotel breakfast buffet.
| Just a few of the small dishes from an Indonesian restaurant. The table was LOADED by the time everything was brought out |
| My Friday night grocery store haul. Those mini stroopwaffels are my new BFF. I loves them. |
My dinners from this last week include: pork schnitzel, stuffed mushrooms, an assortment of Indonesian dishes, meat and boiled potatoes, scallops, and partridge. Other notables include: roast duck salad (yummm), creme brulee made of duck liver and topped with apple jelly (meh), roasted fennel (still ick) and a Dutch croquette (yikes) which is basically shredded beef and extremely thick gravy miraculously held together and then breaded and deep fried. Served on a slice of white bread but if you put it on a stick, it would be right at home at the State Fair. Not exactly health food.
| Banned Frank (from the Van AbbeMuseum) |
| "I ordered this yellow thing from the exhibition assistants but later on I completely forgot the reason for this" (from the Van AbbeMuseum) |
The weather is hovering in the upper 30s and low 40s with rainy drizzle at least once a day. It doesn't stop the bikers. People here bike everywhere all the time. There are tiny school age kids biking to school, professionals biking to work and elderly people biking...wherever elderly people need to go. The doctor? I've seen several parents with baby bike seats up in the front between the handlebars and couples with the girl sitting on a shelf thing over the back tire. Most bikes also have saddlebag looking things in the back for storage. And the bikes are all the same style, nothing fancy, mostly black or silver, no gears and usually with a bell and a light. It's kind of awesome.
| View from my hotel window |
Overall, it's been a great week, in and out of the office, and I'm looking forward to another 3 days of work and then the Ryan+Jessica show is going on the road! Can't wait.
More travelogue updates to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment