Other People
I was sitting in a work meeting across from a group of people I had never met (and could easily pull rank on - one of them was an intern) and realized I was a little afraid of them. Then I remembered how afraid I was of my my boss's boss' boss before I knew him and realized that I am still scared of other people, regardless of position. Stranger danger!
The Unknown
I have done a lot of things in my life that force me into new situations (move to new states, study abroad, get married, start new jobs) and it's always exhilarating and a little terrifying. I am convinced that when you do things that scare you and you come out okay on the other side, it's a source of tremendous personal growth. This is true even for knitting. And talking to people.
The Dark
Our new place has a lot of beautiful windows that let in tons of natural light but at night...eek. Who knows what could be in the darkness looking inside while you putz around in your robe putting away books in your bookshelf and letting a mug of tea steep before bedtime until the book you're holding reminds you of that one scary book that one time where maybe the narrator was the killer but it was so ambivalent you're not sure and it still gives you the creeps to think about and you get creeped out again and grab your tea and rush upstairs and have to act nonchalant when your husband asks what's wrong because you're 27 for pete's sake and still afraid of the dark?
The Passage of Time
It's been aaalmost a year since we moved to Seattle. That clunk was my jaw hitting the ground.
Commitment
There are certain things that I am deeply and easily committed to but others I find myself dithering over. All the way from "which pair of boots should I get?" to "what do I want to be when I grow up?" There are people at my company who have worked there for over 30 years. I don't think that's me. I find it difficult enough to pick out a pair of shoes, much less a career.
No comments:
Post a Comment